> Roots & Flowers: Herb Profile ~ Oatstraw

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Herb Profile ~ Oatstraw

Also known as- Avena sativa, Oats, Common Oats, and sometimes referred to as "avena."
Oatstraw is one of my favorite herbal allies. I rely on infusions of this wonderful herb to help nourish & tone the nervous system.
Oatstraw is a rich source of calcium and magnesium. It is useful for physical and nervous fatigue and is helpful for depression. Oatstraw also contains B-complex vitamins, silicia, calcium, flavones, saponins, and Vitamin A.

Oatstraw is an excellent overall tonic. It has been used traditionally for regulating thyroid function and sex hormones, for easing symptoms of MS, osteoporosis, appetite loss, anorexia, urinary concerns, colds and chills and to encourage sweating.

Oatsraw increases internal heat and dispels internal chill. It is valued by herbalists to assist in strengthening metabolism and circulation, relieving symptoms of depression, relieving muscle spasms, soothing damaged or inflamed gastric mucous membranes, strengthening the nervous system, assisting the assimilating of foods and and sor it's overall strengthening effect on the body.

I find myself reaching for oatstraw infusion during times of stress or overwork. The plentiful minerals of this wonderful herb help soothe frazzled nerves and give me a lift.
Many people claim that drinking oatstraw infusions daily helps increase libido and energy, (recall the old saying, "feeling your oats".)

Oatstraw is also a good herb to add to other herbal infusions for a sweeter, mellow flavor.

This is one herb I've never tried growing. I'd love to hear from others who have.
I get organinc bulk oatstraw from Mt. Rose Herbs.

Mountain Rose Herbs. A herbs, health and harmony c

1 comment:

  1. What a wealth of information! Thank you, for sharing. I just found you and I'm so happy I did. I love oatstraw, it's mild and soothing and you have reminded me to keep it in my pantry. jill P.s. I hope it's ok to add you to my faves.

    ReplyDelete